Monday, April 30, 2007

April 30,2007- Looking forward



Tim and I have been happily married for almost 21 years. The years have flown and the kids have grown up and they all married. During all those momentous moments I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999. Believe me it was an echo in my ears. I went on a Friday for my mammo and 2 hours later my GP called me and said they found something. I wrote myself off but my husband and my good friend Karen and Liz gave me hope and told me all will not be bad.



They tried to cut it out but could not find the margins. So I asked what my options were. They said we could try again to find the margin or just see what happens. See what happens!!!



I told them to take by breast. It was a good thing as through the biopsy and the samples they found I had an even more radical cancer "Padget's" disease of the nipple. I have never been sorry. I was not depressed or discourages. To me my life was more important.





I was afraid what my husband would think and when they UN-did my bandages Tim was standing in front of me as the doctor removed them. When they were off I looked at him and his expression never changed.


He did not cringe or pull away. He just smiled sweetly and whispered he loved me. To me that is love. I took tamoxifen for two years but I gained 80 lbs from it and swelled like a balloon. They took me off of it.


I have faithfully done my yearly checks and have now been clean for 8 years. I thank God and my family and friends. So many people are not as lucky.





Since then I know of six people with breast cancer and have come out O.K. Only one girl passed at 28 years of age. Too young!!!
My good friend Liz had it too and had both removed.
My friend Joan also was diagnosed.
Please ladies take care of yourselves. It does not wait for sex,race, color or creed. Do your yearly checks.



Poem:

TODAY

Today I wanted to call you
But my mind tells me you’re gone

Today I wanted to tell you
How much you mean to me mom

Today I wanted to tell you
How much you have molded who I am today

Today I wanted to tell you
Bur you’ve gone away

Today I wanted to tell you
How much I love you mom

Today I wanted to tell you
But I realized I was alone

So Today I wanted to tell you
But looked up in the sky

Today I wanted to tell you
I will miss you and goodbye

But no one can take away my memories
That you have given me

And as I look into my heart
There you will always be



No comments: