Wednesday, May 23, 2007

5/22/07 The year of change


The year of change for me was 2003. I had reached a weight that was beyond reality for me. The doctor told me that if I did not loose the weight I would have a stroke or heart attack within a year. I was on medication for blood pressure,I had sugar issues and I was so swollen all the time. I had no energy and buying clothes that were attractive- FORGET IT. I was 336 pounds. I had spoke to my doctor over the years about the gastric bypass but she was reluctant to advise me, I tried all sorts of diets but I was not lucky.

Finally when things became worse for my health the doctor herself told me I should check out the gastric bypass. She by then had several patients that went thru it and had researched more about it.

So I decided to go for it. I ended up going to a hospital in Fresno California (5.50 hrs away) that specialized in this procedure. It never came to mind that 1 out of 3 people have complications or die. That did not even sink in. So off I went to do this radical procedure .They did it lapriscopically and it tool 2.5 hours for the procedure. I stayed in the hospital only two nights and was released on the 3rd day. I had no pain. I got up that night and walked. I had to be able to walk the hall 10 times up and back before they would release me. I know that part of this exercise was to prevent blood clots.

My first meal consisted of small can of Ensure in 1 oz cup full every 5 minutes. I had jello as well. I was not hungry. They by passed my stomach and intestines.
I spent the weekend in a hotel and my mother and I were taken there by limo. The hospital arranged all of this for us. Talk about being special. I went back to the office on Monday so doctor would release me. I was out of work 4 to 6 weeks. With instructions to walk,walk,walk. Eating was a problem later down the road. Some things I loved I can no longer eat. Either it makes me sick or does not agree with me. The worst things I experienced was throwing up. I do not do that much at all . Sometimes if I do not use my head.
I did not loose much hair like some people. The first 6 months are crucial and you loose most of your weight then. After that you must work at it and watch your eating. Absorbtion is an issue so I take multiple vitamins (Diff kinds) in triplicate.

I know weigh 182 lbs. I lost almost half of me. Those of you who know me are amazed. I am too.
I am 4 years out now . I went from a size 26 to size 14. I do not want to be any smaller. Do I recommend this...well I think I would. You have to be a certain kind of person. I remained positive. Now I do not take any medication. I have excellent cholesterol and no high blood pressure.

This last year I did a tummy tuck and hip-buttom (reduction-lift) 6 hours worth. I had a tough recovery from that but do not plan any other altering procedures. I still stare at myself. I have come along way.


Poem: TYPING

Typing is a great big bore

When I think I am done they give me more

One page, two,and even five

Don't they think that I am alive

Sores and blisters on my hands

But they still make more demands

I close my eyes - No it's no dream

One more line and I will scream



No comments: