Saturday, May 12, 2007

5/12/07 My Father








My dad was born In Dobelle Latvia. He came from a family that raised Arabian horses and they owned a large farm.













He left his family when he was 17 years old to go fight the war and become a soldier.


That was the last time his mother,father and siblings saw him . He never returned to his home land.

My father fought all over in Europe. He was a prisoner of war in Italy. He was shot in the temple , stomach and leg and survived. He experienced hunger, pain and loneliness.




He was a huge family man and loved my mother to death. He worshipped the ground she walked on (literally). Even though his health was not the best he found ways to support us.


He was a electrician by trade but for many years worked in the wood industry. He built beautiful furniture, cabinets and custom windows.

Even though he lived in America for a long time. His heart yearned for his family. Latvia became free again in 1991 but by then my fathers health was deteriorating.


He wanted to make a trip to walk on Latvian soil and hug his brother Erik, sisters Ilga and Gaida. There are currently about 18 family members in Latvia and his siblings are still alive. He was the oldest.

He was not there when his parents passed but they kept his memory alive. Even on his mothers death bed the cousins were told not to forget the family in America.


He spoke to them as much as he could and often sent medicines to his brother as it was hard to get good medical care at that time.



Even though he had my mother and me and my brother Erik he was sad inside. My mother did not show much interest in his family when he was alive and I think that really hurt. He saved all the letters and pictures.

My brother and I have turned all that around. We have joined together with the family in Latvia. It is like it has made us complete. We communicate with the family and share picture. My brother Erik has already gone 2 times to Latvia and this will be my 1st.




I know my father will make this journey with me and he knows how much I love his family and this has given me an extended family. I simply adore them.
In the younger days my dad smoked a pipe. I now have all his pipes. Every once and awhile I will be somewhere or just sitting quietly and I will smell cherry tobacco. I get a warm feeling. I know he is near. I miss him ............ He was a great dad and loving grandfather. He passed away from cancer in November 1994.


POEM: Dad

When I have needed he has been there
Running,doing and showing he cares

In the past when I was a little girl
He would fix my little curl

There is nothing bad I can ever say
He is special in every way

When all is lost and seems at an end
He is there to help defend

I love you with all my heart
In my life your always a part

YOU ARE MY DAD

******************************************

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss him so much too Mom. My heart aches, but I dream of him often... and it seems like he is still here sometimes. My heart yearns to see him once again... that will be soon..in Heaven..Love you!!

Mica