Wednesday, May 9, 2007

5/09/07- My Mother

My mother grew up in Liepaja, Latvia. She had a very good life. Her parents split up when she was a young girl and her grandmother raised her. She has so many memories of her grandmother. When the Russians invaded Latvia my mother was about 10-11 years old. War time took a toll on this beautiful country. She left behind friends and family. She was even separated from her own mother.


Her family were all actors or singer/musicians. It is very exciting to know I will see Latvia in June and meet all my relatives.


My mothers first love was a man named Raymond. She was so in love. But he got TB and my grandmother forbid her to see or marry him. When the war got worse they fled to Germany. Where they lived in DP Camps .

They lived there for 7 years during the German war. She still loved Raymond but got acquainted with my father Edgar.


He wrote her and soon proposed. He was 8 years older and my mother excepted. I do not know if she was in love with my father from the beginning but she loved him through the years.
The torch for Raymond remained and she still talks about him. She heard at some point he never married and became a cartoonist in Germany.
He tried to contact her in America but she had to ask him to stop as she was married and was trying to make a life.

She was the strong influence in the family and a hard working person. Not only thru my fathers illnesses but in the family operation.
It is when my father passed, I realized that my dad was the rock.
My mother depended on him for everything.
She lives with me today. She is a great help to me. She washes the laundry, cooks and loves gardening. Yes I am spoiled.

She is so lonely. Dad has been gone 13 years but it is like yesterday. None of us are able to make her happy. She is my friend and my mom. I lover her so much.

I want to solute her for mothers day and everyday. I admire her strength.

No comments: