Thursday, August 2, 2007

8/2/07 Dobele

Our first two days we spent in Dobele with my Aunt and Uncle. I was amazed at the quaintness of the town and how everyone walked every where. You saw cars but definitely not like here in California.







As I mentioned I brought gifts and we sorted them out Saturday after a nice sleep. Boy did I sleep good. I gave them their gifts. My Uncle has a problem of hearing. He has a hearing aid but it is old and just was not doing anything for him. He did not join in conversations much my Aunt said. I saw an advertisement on TV about a devise call Miracle Ear. You slip it in the ear like a hearing aid and it amplifies the sound. When he put it in his ear. He said speak to me. So we did. He started to cry. He was so happy that he finally could understand the words. I thought I gave him a million dollars. I just thought it would assist him. He wore both at first but used one in the opposite ear of the one which he had a hearing aid for. He said it made a great difference and he was saving the other one. I gave him a big hug and said I love you ( Es tevu melu). All through our visit he jabbered and asked questions.



Aunt Elza said the other day that they actually have conversations now. I am so glad. I also brought the normal Disney souvenirs as well. They all love Disney.



Dobele (the name)is first mentioned in historical records from 1254. Settlements were recorded as far back as 1000 B.C. The people were referenced as villagers. Of course time paid its toll on the town with the plague, Soviet control and war time.





There is Semigallian castle remains still standing in Dobele from the Livonion Order from the 13th century. The castle was abandoned after 1729. There are many tales and legends surrounding the castle which tell about hidden gold and secret underground passages. Dobele has undertaken the task to conserve the castle.


How cool is that. We walked around the inside of the castle a couple times on our long walks. It was interesting as when a stone is sticking out farther than others meant that someone perished during it's construction and was placed that way to show respect to them.
There are many churches and palaces and beautiful national park land and lots of farming property. Believe it or not much of the harvesting is still done manually. We saw many an old lady out there making hay bales with just a pitch fork. Hard working people. But all find time to laugh, sing and enjoy life no matter what they have.

In Dobele I visited with almost everyone. we had dinner with my cousin Gunta and family, My Aunt Ilga and Cousin Raivis and family and my cousin Daina and family. We laughed, we cried and we laughed some more. I knew I would have to let go but I did not want to. There were times I curled up next to my Uncle and put my head on his shoulder like a little girl. He said he wished we could have met earlier in life but we couldn't. I told him life is precious and we must make the best of what we have now. He does not look like my dad but his mannerisms and the way he laughs and how when he says something funny he raises his brows. I felt at home and so comfortable. I hope everyone will enjoy the pictures of Dobele and the family.

1 comment:

Marie Rayner said...

I have loved reading your page and will be back. Looks like it was a lovely trip to Latvia for you. I found my way over here via Mica's page. You have a lovely daughter there for sure!
Marie
http://journals.aol.co.uk/mariealicejoan/MariesMuses/