Tuesday, July 31, 2007

July 31, 2007 The Arrival

My trip seems like a dream but it happened and it was surreal. We flew out of LA airport on June 14, 2007. I was a little nervous because me and airplanes... well enough said. The flight was excellent. We flew Luftansa Airlines. I can only say they are a classy airline and the service was excellent.
Our first leg of the journey was 10 1/2 hours to Munich Germany. The flight was long but I tried to get up as much as possible . I dozed a little. We watched a couple movies. I was excited. I woke out of a sleep and looked out the airline window and I saw the northern lights. I have heard about it but never saw it first hand. How beautiful. The sky lit up in pinks, purples,blues and rippling white. I was in awe. I watched until it was no longer visible.

We arrived in Munich late. It stressed us out as the connecting flight to Stockholm, Sweden was only 1 hour after arrival. We had a lady that met the group of us and rushed us through the airport, customs and to the connection. This put us late to arrive in Stockholm and the connecting flight in Riga. Once again we got off the plane and literally ran to the next connection. All was well as Riga Air was late leaving as they were over booked. How they do that I do not know. Finally 5 people agreed to wait till the next flight and off we went. Talk about nervous then. One hour away from Riga,Latvia and my family.




Alot was going through my mind. Tim was so excited too. It was odd being on Riga Air and actually understanding the language everyone spoke. Not always you go to Europe and understand the native language. I chuckled to myself and ease dropped on conversations.
When we flew over part of Latvia my heart was fluttering. I finally had made it. I said to myself "Dad, we are here " He went with me I know that for sure.



The landing was good and when we got to the entry and custom they took each person separate and asked the reason for the visit, where you were staying and who you would be seeing. I bravely spoke in Latvian and told them. Then it came to be Tim's turn and I advised the officer that my husband spoke no Latvian and she asked me to step to the side. She was very cordial and stamped his passport and off we went. I was not sure what to expect but I knew someone would be there to get us.
As we got closer where many people were waiting for their loved ones I started to recognize faces. Oh my God they were all there. All 16 of them. My aunts, my uncle, my cousins, second cousins and third. Tears in my eyes I ran up to Aunt Ilga first. She said Dainite do you know who I am . I said yes and grabbed her and just held on. After that everyone one at a time came up to me and stated who they were and hugged me and gave me flowers. I felt like royalty. My uncle cried. I barely could get my arms around all the flowers. They gave Tim a can of Beer and hugs and a big welcome.



Everyone discussed what was going to occur and what we needed to do and we said goodbye and would see everyone later. We went with Dina and she would take us to Dobele where my Uncle Erik lives and Aunt Elza. We would stay there for two nights and then go back to Riga and stay with my Aunt Guida and cousin Inga and cousin Edgar. We should have been tired considering the time change. We were now 10 hours ahead of California time. I just stared at everyone. I did not want to take my eyes off of them. I was finally here and my heart was at peace. Tim and I were ready for the adventure and the people and the beautiful sites we would see.


We visited a short while , had a bite to eat and went to bed about midnight. I kissed and hugged them and told them I would do that everyday so I had plenty hugs to bring home with me. In the morning we would sort out the gifts and visit some more. I was just so happy and comfortable it felt like home. The odd thing Tim felt the same way. We were excited for the new day to come.
To be continuted...........

No comments: